CONSULTANT DERMATOLOGIST AND MOHS SURGEON
President of The British Society for Dermatological Surgery
Qualifications: BSc (Hons), MB, BS, MD, FRCP
A UK Dermatologist with over 25 years experience in the specialty, with a special interest in sun damage, mole analysis and removal, management of skin cancers, advanced skin surgery together with Mohs Surgery and general dermatology.
I am a Consultant Dermatologist with a special interest in the diagnosis and management of skin cancers and very experienced in the management of all dermatological conditions. I have performed over 4000 Mohs surgery cases and many more standard procedures.
- I am fortunate to be one of the very few clinicians in the UK able to offer all the currently available types of diagnostic tools and treatments for skin cancer, ranging from dermoscopy, photodynamic therapy and Mohs Surgery, having been involved in numerous clinical trials.
- I run the regional Mohs Micrographic Service at the Portsmouth Dermatology Centre. One of only six centres nationally to provide formal training in Mohs Surgery. I have chaired the Wessex Regional group for responsible for skin cancer policy in Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset for over 10 years and was previously the Chair of the British Association of Dermatologists Skin Cancer Committee.
- I have participated in The American Society of Mohs Surgery Quality Assurance Programme and have just been instrumental in starting a
similar UK scheme.
- After school in Wimbledon I studied Medicine at St Thomas’, where I was selected to study for an additional BSc in Experimental Pathology. After training in Dermatology in Leicester, Sheffield and Edinburgh, I undertook basic research as a University Lecturer which was extended into a project in rural Malaysia. This led to a Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree. Subsequently I trained in Dermatological surgery and Mohs Micrographic Surgery in the UK, Seattle, San Diego and Charleston, USA.
- As the elected President of the British Society for Dermatological Surgery (BSDS) (2017-2021) I am responsible for coordinating advanced dermatological surgery and Mohs training and education in the UK. In this role I’m also responsible for national guidelines and audits relating to skin cancer surgery.
- I work closely with British Association of Dermatologists, National Institute of Clinical Excellence and NHS England in producing guidance on the management of both dermatology in general and skin cancer; Most recently chairing the national guidelines development committee
for Squamous cell Carcinoma and currently a member of the NICE Melanoma Guidelines Development Group.